Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red spot with White center and White spot in genital area

 billayjean - Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Ok I am first going to start with the white spot on the shaft of my penis. It has been there for atleast two years now, I am not to worried about it but just want to know what it is. There is only one pimple sized white spot that exist or has ever existed. It has never caused me any pain, and over time I noticed it has gotten a little bigger, but not by a lot. What is it? And is there a way to get rid of it?

Now on to my more concerning problem, about three weeks ago I got a red bump with a white center after shaving my genital area, I thought it was just razor burn, but the bump lasted a week. After that week it started getting bigger, and painful ( I could feel it while walking) also causing me a lot of discomfort, after 3 weeks the swelling has gone down and all that remains is a little red area, with a white dot in the center. I have never had sex before, so I personally ruled out and STD, but still don't understand what it is, if it will come back and how can I get rid of it?

A future thank you to all that answer these questions for me, you will be relieving a lot of stress and anxiety from me.
 Doug09 - Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Sounds like a boil with the white spot being the head of it (where the pus escapes).
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:24 am

User avatar Hello,The last one first.This looks very much like a folliculitis developed after shaving.The genital area has a flora of organisms some good and some bad.When there is an injury to the top layer epidermis,sometimes these organisms slip in to the hair follicle to cause infection.Our body responds by sending white blood cells there to encapsulate it.This is folliculitis.Treatment is application of local antibiotics,sometimes internal.Incision and drainage may be required rarely.About the small white macule I do not think is of any concern and could just be a guttate hypomelanosis,or post inflammatory.Do consult your doc any way.Best wishes.
 billayjean - Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:45 pm

Thank you Dr. Kamath, really appreciate your response, keep up the good work!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us