Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: how to remove excess body hair????????????????

 tbell11307 - Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 am

im 18 years old, i have had hair on my chest stomach and back since i was about 15..up until now i didnt care to much. its gotten pretty bad. i hate to go swimming i hate working outside in the sun because to take my shirt off is like trien to ride a bike for the first time its damn right embarrasing. i could shave my chest but it would grow back thicker. and i cant reach my back if i tried. and who in the right mind would shave my back for me twice a week. i want to get rid of my back and chest hair for good. i wana be able to go swimming with out the stares and laughter...please help..
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:27 am

User avatar Hello,Hair removal by lasers are comparitively more effective but expensive.There are more goods and less bads when done by professionals.Light skinned with black hairs respond the best.There is some pain associated and some times there is regrowth though lighter.You can always get a patch test and later proceed with the procedure.During treatment make sure you wear proper goggles.Grey or blonds respond less to laser treatment.If you are thinking of electrolysis,a time tested procedure do consult a good electrologist.Needle electrolysis is a permanet form of hair removal by which heat energy destroys the follicle.This may need several sittings.Do make sure you go to the right professional.Your dermatologist would be able to discuss in detail.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us