Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Hypersensitive skin

 s0ccerchick44 - Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 pm

For about 9 years now I have has this problem where my clothes are constantly irritating me causing me to tug on them constantly to get them away from my skin or the spot that is being irritated. It started out just near my neck area and wasn't to big of a problem, but now it is basically all my clothing irritates my skin. The main spots are my chest, under armpits, and waistline. I don't have any allergies but I do have a little anxiety which seems to make it flare up even more the times I am more stressed or anxious. I get hives occasionally and sometimes they occur more often then others. I have read some stuff and talked to my doctor and he has told me I might release more histamine but I have been on antihistamines for my asthma and they didn't seem to help. I basically go through the day never comfortable in my own skin and it's starting to drive me insane. I can never do anything completely relaxed, except when I fall asleep which takes longer because I am constantly readjusting my clothing because of the irritation. I had thought it might be a little bit of OCD, but I am pretty positive that it has something to do with my skin being too sensitive. I think that I feel my clothes way more then other people do. I can feel every seem on my clothing and my skin gets very irritated from this. My doctor said it might be a mixture of something more physical like my skin being sensitive and phycological because of the physical part causing me to think about my clothing irritating me so much. I am sure I probably sound a little bit crazy, but I just hope there is something someone can tell me that might help a little bit more because I have been to a therapist, I have taken antihistamines, and I'm not sure what else to do. Anything will help. Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:39 am

User avatar Hello,Though there is no dermatological except textile dermatitis otherwise known as bleeding madras syndrome causing allergies due to the dyes used in textiles.Rarer though static electicity has been mentioned in older literature to cause skin pruritus especially in those with dry skin due to the electrostatic force.But as to whether it could be causing skin sensitivity seems hypothetical as to whether there are skin conductors to the fabric ,thus explaining the phenomenon that you experience.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us