Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Butterfly Rash

 sprank75 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Not sure where else to put this since it falls into more than just dermatology.

I had my gall bladder removed in 2005 due to abdominal pain and sudden loose stool, tests indicated that it had issues. Since then symptoms remained, upper and lower GI's found what they called pre-cancerous tissue and a couple of polyps that were not entirely removed do to me awakening during the procedure. I have suffered for many years with a butterfly rash on my face which seems to have increased in intensity and the skin on my nose is peeling. This along with a mole on my cheek that has changed a bit and some mole/wart-like growths that grow and shrink and a skin growth on the side of my body. I suffer from nauseating headaches that increase when I have a bowel movement. I also have constant ringing in my ears. Any chance that all of this is tied together? Any ideas on what may do all of this? How do I approach my lazy doctor about these issues when he is so good at blowing things off like I am making it all up?

Also, whenever I have had blood test every time my white cell count is elevated, I can't say how much but enough that they make mention of it.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Hello sprank75,

You certainly have a complicated range of symptoms, and may have more than one diagnosis. On top of all the physical issues, your anxiety and possible anger at the perceived lack of support from your doctor only intensifies the symptoms. You didn't mention your doctor's specialty or the availability of getting a second opinion. First start to keep a record of your symptoms, giving the date and time they occur. Next, consider getting a complete physical from an Internal Medicine specialist, giving him or her your record of symptoms to review, and request referrals to any appropriate specialist according to the results of your complete physical. Advocate for yourself; do not rely on your doctor to automatically know your concerns. If you must, change doctors. I suspect a rheumatology diagnosis, perhaps superimposed on neurology and dermatology diagnoses as well.

Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us