Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Rash occuring all over body itchy blotchy don't know what

 rae89 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:18 am

Im currently un-insured so i have no way to go to a doctor with my finacial state right now. I have been expiriencing this rash for almost 13 years on and off now. My mother chalked it up to a heat rash but i do not know if thats what this is. I have done many online searches but i cant find any cases that sound like mine.

it breaks out every few years and then goes away after about 2-5 mo.
It occurs all over the body and it takes the form of slightly raised large blotches of red-pink skin that becomes unbearably itchly. It will surface for almost half the day(approx 3-9 hrs) and then will fade. If i scratch at it or irritate it the surfacing time may last longer. It appears to react to heat however, so if i sleep with a heavy blanket, am in a hot room for extended periods of time, multiple layers of clothes etc, a breakout can occur. The rash is not in the form of small bumps but large patches and when it occures in the fingers, my whole finger will swell, if in the eyelids or lips they will also swell dramatically based on if i press or push on it the outbreak will swell more so.
I have tried creams but they do not work they do not relieve the itch at all.
I also don't belive this is an allergy because when it occurs i have no new soaps foods detergents shampoos etc that i have not used before i cant think of anything at this point to do it can be unbearable at times it shows up everywhere from my fingers to arms to my back to legs to feet (tops and bottoms) even occasionally in the genital area.
Please, i know you cant diagnose me but any help to lead me in the right direction to find out what i have or to aid in my search would be wonderful.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:51 am

User avatar Hello,From your descriptions you could be suffering from chronic urticaria.The symptoms are typical and you also seem to be having a physical urticaria as well in which pressure,or increase in core body temperature precipitates a rash.Foods,drugs,medications,worm infestations are few of the causes but many times the cause remains unknown.This is caused by liberation of histamine and thus antihiataminics remain the drugs of choice.Tab Zyrtec,or cetrizine may be prescribed by your doctor.Do not drive or work on machines after taking the tablet.Do get evaluated.Treatment is symptomatic and may be for long term.Many out grow chronic urticaria in a few years.Bestwishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us