Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Mystery lump inner thigh, started red and itchy now brown

JohnnyK - Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi - please help... here's the sequence of events and I'm not sure how they relate but I'm at a loss to understand what I've most likely got and what to do:

- I play tennis (a lot) in Australia and it is sweaty in the heat around the nether regions.
- I have always worn swimming shorts / trunks while playing and no underwear with no real problems.
- I came home drunk about a fortnight ago with my girlfriend and we decided to shave my pubes with clippers.
- My legs have rubbed together in the past while playing sport so I have just moisturised and the mild redness has gone away.
- Sometimes I can get an "itchy bump" in the upper crease of my buttocks... this just goes away if I don't touch it!
- My girlfriend told me she has a urine infection from having sex with me!

So, here's the situation. A few days after shaving my pubes (more like trimming really) and proceeding to play tennis 4 times a week (about 13 hours) and football 1 hour... I had an itch around my inner thigh / groin area on the underside. A red itchy bump appeared and I scratched it a bit. After a few more days I noticed that this bump was quite deep under my skin, it was pretty solid (not like a blister) and had developed a brown tinge in the centre.

After playing tennis again, I noticed a bit of itching around my balls and penis. I put this down to my pubic hairs growing back and discreetly scratched during sport to ease the itchiness. Now I think I have irritated my penis and a small brown dot and some redness has appeared on both my ball bag and penis.

I always shower after tennis (when I get home) and I shower every morning.

Yesterday I played tennis again for about 6 hours and there is a new red bump in almost a symetrical place to the other one from 2 weeks ago (groin crease / inner thigh). There is no brown mark on this one. Looks like an itchy / heat bump. This is how the first one started!

I really do not know what is happening here. Could my legs have got bigger and my clothes are too small? Is this from rubbing or have I caught something? I do have unprotected sex but I'm pretty confident that we're clean. Although my girlfriend claims to have had a urine infection for the last fortnight...??? Related / Unrelated?

This is a mystery to me. I've moisturised every day. I have not changed products in terms of washing etc.. I've used vasaline to stop chaffing. Today I tried something new and I have put voltaren on my penis and groin to numb the itchiness.

The first bump from a couple of weeks ago seems to have broken skin (hard to see 'cos it's round the other side of my leg) It's still red round the edges with a brown dot in the middle but the hard lump has gone.

What have I got? Please tell me!! I think I've got another mystery bump on the way on the other leg!

Also, what should I do to prevent this again... it's uncomfortable and not very pleasant.

Your advice would be much appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 am

User avatar Hello,Tinea cruris is quite common in people who tend to sweat and it occurs commonly in the groin area.They could be much itching and there could be a resultant brown post inflammatory pigmentation.Canesten in the form of powder would help in control and prevention.Differential diagnosis include seborrheic dermatitis ie a type of dandruff to involve this area and also erythrasma a bacterial infection.These respond well to therapy.Do get examined and treated,these are the possiblities.Ok?
 JohnnyK - Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 am

Hi - thanks for the reply doc - much appreciated. I went to my local doctor and he gave me Keflex antibiotics.

Today I played tennis and also yesterday - around 4 hours worth. Tonight I have noticed another red lump appear on my leg... it's just itchy... I've put some savlon on it.

I have also noticed that one of my marks on my penis has changed into a white looking spot. Most peculiar.

Please can you let me know what this is and once it does clear, what do you suggest I do to prevent this chaffing etc?

Best regards; Johnny
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 am

User avatar Hello,Talcum powder or canesten powder woud be quite ok.Post inflamatory depigmentation may be the cause for the loss of pigment and you should get back to normal in a few weeks.Good wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us