Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Shave Biopsy Site looks blue underneath

njmom18 - Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:13 am

I can't find this topic anywhere. I had two shave skin biopsies. The hole on the first is white/pink. On the second, I had a small, perfectly round, red spot removed. The resulting "hole" was blue. The original spot was about 1/4" in diameter and I just noticed it a month or so ago. It's on my leg betwen my knee and hip, so I would have seen it. The derm didn't comment on what she thought it was, just said she was taking it off. It's been 6 days and there's still a blue in there. ALso what looks like a tiny red vein across the site. I'm wondering if the blue is a vein below the site? Could the bottom of a red mole be blue? I'm worrying myself sick only because it'll be 2-3 weeks b-4 I get the results, and she never said what she though it was originally.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:41 am

User avatar Hello,The shave biopsy is the simplest of the biopsy procedures and done if there is only a superficial problem expected.The only possible complication that if it is taken from the leg area healing may be a little slow.You need not worry about the color because a mild bleed from a superfical vessel may show as bluish pigment.Do await the biopsy report and if there is a wound infection you may be given a external antibiotic like mupurocin.Bestwishes.