Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Small dots on tip of thumb

Redhed831 - Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:10 am

(I submitted this a couple days ago, but I didn't see it in "My Posts," and don't see it here, so I am resubmitting. If it was posted, my apologies for double posting.)

I'm not sure if this is in the right area, as I don't even have any clue what is wrong. We were camping at a local lake over the weekend and I noticed yesterday while we were packing up that I had a cluster of tiny, pin-sized brownish-black dots on the very tip of my thumb (I guess it might be considered the "top"). The entire cluster is maybe 1/2 cm in diameter. They are under the first couple of layers of skin, because I can clearly see that the fingerprint ridges cover them. At first I thought maybe I had dirt on my hands, but I tried scrubbing and the dots are, obviously, still there. I don't believe I banged it on anything or experienced any sort of trauma to the area, so I'm pretty sure it's not a bruise.

I've never seen this on anyone else and have searched the internet for the past couple hours and can't seem to find anything that describes it, either. (There were a couple unresolved blog posts).

Any ideas?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:42 pm

User avatar Hello,The net is replete with people getting this kind of a pigmentation on the fingers or palms.While not much has come over as explanations I did come across few patients presenting with pinpoint clusters of black or blackish brown pigment merging with the finger prints.These did respond to application of antifungal cremes suggesting a likelyhood of tinea nigra,a fungal infection caused by P werneckii.Best wishes.