Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Small dots on tip of thumb

Redhed831 - Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:10 am

(I submitted this a couple days ago, but I didn't see it in "My Posts," and don't see it here, so I am resubmitting. If it was posted, my apologies for double posting.)

I'm not sure if this is in the right area, as I don't even have any clue what is wrong. We were camping at a local lake over the weekend and I noticed yesterday while we were packing up that I had a cluster of tiny, pin-sized brownish-black dots on the very tip of my thumb (I guess it might be considered the "top"). The entire cluster is maybe 1/2 cm in diameter. They are under the first couple of layers of skin, because I can clearly see that the fingerprint ridges cover them. At first I thought maybe I had dirt on my hands, but I tried scrubbing and the dots are, obviously, still there. I don't believe I banged it on anything or experienced any sort of trauma to the area, so I'm pretty sure it's not a bruise.

I've never seen this on anyone else and have searched the internet for the past couple hours and can't seem to find anything that describes it, either. (There were a couple unresolved blog posts).

Any ideas?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:42 pm

User avatar Hello,The net is replete with people getting this kind of a pigmentation on the fingers or palms.While not much has come over as explanations I did come across few patients presenting with pinpoint clusters of black or blackish brown pigment merging with the finger prints.These did respond to application of antifungal cremes suggesting a likelyhood of tinea nigra,a fungal infection caused by P werneckii.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us