Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Groin Rash

blujax2 - Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:26 am

About a month ago a red bump appeared on my left upper thigh area near my groin. It itched so i scratched it. It enlarged and eventually, the center was a little darker than my skin color and it had raised red edges. Then, I got one on my right groin area. I now have 1 medium sized one and one small one on my right. I scratched that one and it is now somewhat irritated. I am 17 years old and not sexually active. Any idea what it could be?

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 pm

User avatar Hello,The location and the description favour a diagnosis of fungal infection of groin also calle as tinea cruris.The lesions may be red and advance of the borders all around with a central clearence may be seen.Some times due to scatching and secondary infection it can become eczematised.This responds to external applications like canesten, which your doctor may prescribe.Also a few days of application of hydrocortisone to get over the irritation may be used by the physician.Best wishes.