Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Groin Rash

blujax2 - Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:26 am

About a month ago a red bump appeared on my left upper thigh area near my groin. It itched so i scratched it. It enlarged and eventually, the center was a little darker than my skin color and it had raised red edges. Then, I got one on my right groin area. I now have 1 medium sized one and one small one on my right. I scratched that one and it is now somewhat irritated. I am 17 years old and not sexually active. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 pm

User avatar Hello,The location and the description favour a diagnosis of fungal infection of groin also calle as tinea cruris.The lesions may be red and advance of the borders all around with a central clearence may be seen.Some times due to scatching and secondary infection it can become eczematised.This responds to external applications like canesten, which your doctor may prescribe.Also a few days of application of hydrocortisone to get over the irritation may be used by the physician.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us