Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: What should I do about the scarring on my glans penis?

 MrZ18 - Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:53 pm

I am a 20 year old male that has been keeping a terrible secret for around 6 years. I have extensive scarring all over my glans penis due to masturbation.

I'm going to start the story of how this happened to me from the beginning. I first began masturbating around the young age of 7. When I first discovered masturbation I thought it was great and loved how it felt. I continued to masturbate regularly for about 3 years followed by another 3 years of abstaining from it. I then rediscovered masturbation around age 13.

Soon after I was experimenting with many different ways to masturbate. One day I decided to experiment in a way that has caused me to feel regret every day of my life since then. I decided to masturbate using a towel and it ended up slightly scarring a few different areas of my glans penis. I continued to masturbate regularly even after this happened. I believe that every time I vigorously masturbated after the towel incident I made the scarring slightly worse. Over the years it built up to the point where there is now extensive scarring all over my glans penis.

My situation has also caused me to be too afraid to enter a relationship due to what my partner would think upon seeing my glans penis. This in turn has at times caused me to be severely depressed and I have had thoughts of suicide.

I've never worked up the courage to tell anyone about this in person due to the shame I feel for doing this to myself. I've only ever tried to find help on the internet one other time and I never really got any help on the site I went to. I have once again decided to seek out help because I decided that it would be better to try and get help then to just give up and be unhappy for the rest of my life or kill myself because I was too afraid to seek help. I only hope that there is some kind of cosmetic surgery that can help clear up most of the scarring on my glans penis and give me a better quality of life.

As for how extensive the scarring really is... well it's just everywhere on my glans penis. There is scarring on the top of the glans penis, on the sides, and even scarring opening up the sides of my urethra. It can be seen both when my penis is erect and flaccid. I have slowed down on masturbating quite a bit over a past couple of years but it is now quite obvious that this scarring is permanent. I can provide pictures to a doctor if they need to see for themselves just how bad it really is. I'm sure this is a rare case but I would like to hear anything that could help me. I believe that some kind of cosmetic surgery will be needed but I would like detailed insights from a doctor. I am asking here as a preliminary to asking a doctor in person due to how embarrassing this is for me. It would be great if I could get some support and professional advice on how to better my situation.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:48 am

User avatar Hello,Before coming to any conclusions about masturbation inducing scars let us look at the whole thing objectively.I do not see masturbation inducing so deep scars that you potray.Even if there were minor inuries the mucus membranes heal quite fast and do not leave behind extensive scars.Penile keloids with thickening and scarring have been recorded after circumcision but extremely rare.These responded to injections of steroids.Instead of getting worried do consult a doctor.Treatment may be simpler than you would have imagined.For example a lupus vulgaris would respond well to anti tubercular treatment in a short time.So quit worrying and get to action.Why not get a professional opinion?Do send a photograph.Ok?
 bprico - Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:05 am

I have the exact same problem. Looking for solution as 24.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us