Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red spot on arm

guest2009 - Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:01 pm

I've had a small red spot on my bicep for approx 2+ weeks. It started as a dry red oval spot about 1/3 inch or 8 mm. It wasn't itchy or painful. Two days ago, I cleaned the spot with alcohol and put on some antibacterial cream and covered it with a band aid. The center of the spot has returned to my normal skin color but the circumference has not, leaving a red ring, slightly bumpy. It hasn't grown larger but I'm worried. Should I continue the antibacterial cream? Is it time to see the doc?

I don't know if it is a bug bite/sting since I don't see any bite marks, holes, etc. I don't know if its ringworm since it is now a red ring but I haven't read any instances of the red ring forming as a red spot first.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 am

User avatar Hello,Fungal infections typically grow at the periphery with a central clearence thus growing in size.Antibacterial cremes would not help here but antifungal cremes.Of course there are other conditions like a drug rash,which can presnt with a dull red center and a pale periphery known as target lesions.Your history does not support this.Granuloma annulare is one other condition which could present like this.If this persists do get examined.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us