Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Is Vilantae a good alternative to Accutane for treating Acne

Criconomist - Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 pm

I wanted to know whether Vilantae's claim to being second only to Accutane in terms of addressing the root causes of acne is true?

Vilantae's active ingredient is Vitamin B5, which it says reduces the activity of the sebaceous glands and thereby reduces acne over a period of time. Please tell me what your opinion of this product is - www.vilantae.com is the product's website.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:07 am

User avatar Hello,It is very difficult to comment on any product with out knowing much.In 1995 Leiung etall published some positive findings in favour of pantothenic acid in acne as an hypothesis.Commercial products are available.Accutane being a totally different molecule and mode of action being different belongs to another class.Pantothenic acid deficiency is extremely rare.So I am unable to give more information on this except to say that more research may be required to study different modalities of treatment for this problem Acne and the medications used.Best wishes.