Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Hand is peeling with and have pimple like protusions

earland7 - Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:49 pm

I work construction and about 7 years ago I was working on the Hovver Dam bypass project where we used water from lake mead for dust control, and at that time there was a problem with human feces in the lake. After a while my right hand started to get pimple like bumps on it, when I opened them they leaked clear fluid. And then my hand started to peel. I've been through one layer and now I'm starting on another. The problem gets worse when I'm in warm weather, during the colder months the problem goes away. Docters seem to think it's a fungus of some sort and give me creams that don't work. I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

Thank you for the help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:45 am

User avatar Hello,What you have is possibly is known as pompholyx which shows up on palms like deep seated bisters which ultimately open up or heal leaving behind scaling.Cause is not known but allergy to nickel,chromium,dyes and perfumes are all implicated.Some have associated excessive sweating.Fungi elsewhere like jock itch also can cause pompholyx of palms.Resolves with application of calamine lotion.Some people may need antihistaminics.Do get tested and treated.Best wishes.