Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Scratching an itch = bruising and blotches

nanner - Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm 22 years old and for the past few years if i scratch an itch on my legs arms or breasts a few hours later i see red blotches that almost look like blood under the skin. Just last night i had a warm bath and my right lower calf had an itch so i scratched it for 10 seconds or so and not roughly and i just noticed alotta bruises n red blood looking blotches in the same spot. Is this normal? or should i be more worried? Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 am

User avatar Hello,While it is common to itch and get some redness,but to show up with blotches or bruises need investigations to rule out deficiency conditions,congenital problems,vascular or blood related problems.Congenital conditions like ehlers danlos do have easy fragility(may not be applicable to you)and also some autoimmune problems,liver diseases just for completions sake.While it may be just some easy fragility related to like vitC deficiency you must get CBC of blood just to be sure, with tests for bleeding and clotting time.Best wishes.