Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: button on my back with white tissue (like hair) coming out

lizzzard - Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:31 pm

I have on my back a button which is about the size of an eraser on a pencil.
It wont go away , I've had it for a few months now. I can't pop it and there is a weird sort of tissue coming out of it, almost like a fabric such as cotton. And has a weird smell. It looks like a white hair growing but if I pull on it it kind of comes out in small lenghts.
It's not painfull or anything. But I would like to get rid of it.
What is it ? And how can I treat it ?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:56 am

User avatar Hello,There are two diagnosis.One is a sebaceous cyst.Location is common and a cheesy smelly material would come out on pressure.These can be removed surgically.It is not serious.The other is a dermoid cyst carrying embryonic remnanats like hair,connective tissue etc.This also is amenable to surgical removal.Do consult a surgeon for options.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us