Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Sebaceous cyst removal

lukas_s - Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:55 pm

This past Saturday I had a sebaceous cyst removed from my neck. It had been there since 2006, but had, within the past week, started to become sore and appeared to be getting a bit larger. It felt hard to the touch.

Removal seemed to go well, I received 4 shots of novocaine around the cyst, after which the surgeon used a scalpel to cut into it and then remove it. He then cleaned it, and placed a bandage over it.

He was not clear with aftercare instructions, however. Only thing he said was to "clean it with Q-Tips and hydrogen peroxide." He did not specify how often, nor how long to keep it bandaged, and at the time I did not think to ask about it. It appears to be healing up just fine, but my question is: should it still feel hard to the touch? Will this go away? It looks a lot better, but I'm worried that perhaps because I still feel hardness under the skin that it was not removed properly. How should I properly care for this?

Thanks in advance!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:24 am

User avatar Hello,Your surgeon would have removed the entire sac and contents.May be what you are feeling could be a small hematoma ie mild blood seepage and clotting.This would get resorbed.While it is not impossible most of the time a single procedure is enough.Rarely there could be a recurrence if part of the cyst wall remains.Best wishes.