Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Sebaceous cyst removal

lukas_s - Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Hello,

This past Saturday I had a sebaceous cyst removed from my neck. It had been there since 2006, but had, within the past week, started to become sore and appeared to be getting a bit larger. It felt hard to the touch.

Removal seemed to go well, I received 4 shots of novocaine around the cyst, after which the surgeon used a scalpel to cut into it and then remove it. He then cleaned it, and placed a bandage over it.

He was not clear with aftercare instructions, however. Only thing he said was to "clean it with Q-Tips and hydrogen peroxide." He did not specify how often, nor how long to keep it bandaged, and at the time I did not think to ask about it. It appears to be healing up just fine, but my question is: should it still feel hard to the touch? Will this go away? It looks a lot better, but I'm worried that perhaps because I still feel hardness under the skin that it was not removed properly. How should I properly care for this?

Thanks in advance!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:24 am

User avatar Hello,Your surgeon would have removed the entire sac and contents.May be what you are feeling could be a small hematoma ie mild blood seepage and clotting.This would get resorbed.While it is not impossible most of the time a single procedure is enough.Rarely there could be a recurrence if part of the cyst wall remains.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us