Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: DARK SPOT ON NECK

humble100 - Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi, I have a dark spot on my neck that appeared 4 months ago and have not went away.This is the first time that i have experienced this. I have been in the sun more than usual this year.It is not a rash. Do you know what this could be? If so what kind of cream can i use for it to disapear.I am embarassed of people noticing it.Thanks for your help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:17 am

User avatar A dark macule may be consistent with a diagnosis of lentigo.These are benign and are brown to black.They can appear anywhere in the body.Differential diagnosis would inlude other serious conditions like a melanoma, if it is fast growing,changing colors, itching or bleeding.You can get a dermatologist who will examine with a dermascope and rule out and make sure it is only a lentigine.A sunscreen lotion and skin lightening creme are generally prescribed.Chemical peels or lasers are other options.Best wishes.