Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: DARK SPOT ON NECK

humble100 - Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi, I have a dark spot on my neck that appeared 4 months ago and have not went away.This is the first time that i have experienced this. I have been in the sun more than usual this year.It is not a rash. Do you know what this could be? If so what kind of cream can i use for it to disapear.I am embarassed of people noticing it.Thanks for your help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:17 am

User avatar A dark macule may be consistent with a diagnosis of lentigo.These are benign and are brown to black.They can appear anywhere in the body.Differential diagnosis would inlude other serious conditions like a melanoma, if it is fast growing,changing colors, itching or bleeding.You can get a dermatologist who will examine with a dermascope and rule out and make sure it is only a lentigine.A sunscreen lotion and skin lightening creme are generally prescribed.Chemical peels or lasers are other options.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us