Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: pimple/ingrown hair sores on arms and chest

 korishka - Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:03 pm

every so often i get thse red bumps on my arms or chest and they turn into a pimple like bump with puss, sometimes a clear/yellowish liquid. Sometimes there is a hair that comes out, other times nothing. They are very sore and embarassing and least for a few weeks. any idea what may cause this or how to heal/prevent it?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:53 am

User avatar Hello,What you have is probably a superficial folliculitis.This is a common problem caused by bacteria like staphylococci.Sometimes a curling hair can irrirate the skin and form what are known as pseudo folliculitis.Antibacterial soaps are most useful to control recurrence.External antibiotics like mupurocin are good to get over these.Some with deeper infections may need systemic antibiotics.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us