Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin allergy

 vrishabhvini - Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:25 am

Hello doc,
My grandpa, 78 yrs old, is facing with a problem in his palm and soles of his foot. the skin gets blotchy, cracks up some times blood comes out through those cracks. surrounding it s also a bluish discoloration of the skin. he complaints of itching, a lot pain and at times it goes numb. so can u help us with the diagnosis and treatment. Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:42 pm

User avatar Hello,As there is ageing there are skin problems manifest specially in this group.Your grandpa seems to be suffering from asteatotic eczema which is also known as eczema craquele caused by reduced skin lipid surface and water binding capacity of the skin.Contact irritants can worsen this.Zinc deficiency also is a reported cause.Best treated with emolients like glycerine containing cremes,and a course of multivitamins.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us