Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: new "beauty spots" appearing

fem002 - Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:22 am

Hi,
I generally have had many beauty spots gowing up. I am now 26 years old, I have noticed in the past 2 years many more spots appearing all over my body, I have noticed more on my arms. They are completely flat, like part of my skin (not raised above my skin), usually black in colour, a few are a brown colour, most of them are symmetrical circles, only one or two are not. The fact that I have more spots appearing was worrying me, is it something to be concerned about?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:13 pm

User avatar Hello,
Moles should be checked out, especially when you have a lot of them. Often a dermatologist will take photographs and compare to see if there are worrisome changes in the future. Melanoma often develops in a pre-existing mole that begins to change or a new mole. In most cases there is no problem with moles them but since skin cancer can be serious, it is best to be cautious.

Warning signs include: asymmetrical shape and irregular, uneven borders, multiple colors (vs one solid color), diameter greater than the size of the end of a pencil eraser, and changing over time.

By getting a baseline exam, it is easier to evaluate changes over time. Seeing your primary care physician or dermatologist would be the best plan.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us