Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Excessive sweating under armpits

 dey.sourav - Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:10 am

I am 15 year old boy. I sweat excessively under armpits, my clothes are having yellowish color due to sweating. Please help me. I am facing social problems for this. The sweat patches are visible clearly even with double clothing. Even in this winter season I sweat, though i feel very cold at the morning.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 am

User avatar Hello,Axillary hyperhidrosis as it is called can be a bothersome complaint.This can lead to problems in social life due to excessive sweating and the need to change clothes often.While the cause seems to be a distubance of autonomic nervous system which govers sweat production by the eccrine sweat glands.The medical treatment which is effective is Aluminium chloride hexahydrate 10% applied externally.The other modalities would include botulinum toxin injections,and surgery of the sympathetic nerves as the last resort.Do consult a dermatologist and discuss the modalities.Best wishes.
 dey.sourav - Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:06 am

someone told me it is caused bcz of hormones changes at this teen age . is it true?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 am

User avatar Hello,There is increased apocrine secretion during adolescence which does contribute to the smell but excessive sweating may be related to anxiety during adolescent crisis.
 Dismount - Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:34 pm

I have excessive sweating in my arm pits aswell, Im visiting my GP next wednesday but Im terrified about what he could actually do. Is there anything he can actually give me to help? Just to note, Im 16 and I know about the change in the body but the amount I sweat is beyond crazy !

Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 am

User avatar Hello,You seem to be anxious more than anything else.Your doctor will give you a general examination and prescribe you external application or spray containing Aluminium chloride hexahydrate 10%.He may also give you some mild anti anxiety medication.
Ok?Nothing to worry.Best wishes.
 Dismount - Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:44 am


I went to see my GP this morning and I explained my case. He never examined me but only asked if I was taking any illegal substances. He was sent me for a blood test at the hospital and then from their he can give me a prescription.

Thanks !

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us