Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: How can I prevent my "heat rash" from constantly returning?

kennymo830 - Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Since this summer, many times when I get sun exposure, I get this strange rash that looks like either a heat rash or a very blotchy sun burn. I figured it was heat rash, but I get it when I am not hot or sweating. I have been doing light tanning in preparation for a vacation in Mexico and it has come back. I get it mostly on my chest and a little on my back. It itches very badly and I don't know what to do to prevent it. Today I put on SPF 30 sunscreen and it still came. What is this rash if not heat rash and what can I do to prevent and treat it?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 am

User avatar Hello,Miliaria rubra is a condition of the sweat gland obstruction leading to rashes and itching especially of the trunk.Sweat retention is the cause and found in humid conditions or due to tight dressing.If this is very superficial it is known as miliaria crystallina and deeper ones miliaria profunda.Cool environment,loose dresses and avoiding excess heat are the ways of prevention.Sunscreens may not be of much value here.Talc,Calamine applied externally are useful.Best wishes.