Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: red area on my forehead turning darkish

se7en - Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:19 pm

hi i am a 26 year old male and i would appreciate it if a doctor could give me some advice...i have a red mildly itchy area on my forehood its the shape of 0 starting from my hair line to the middle of my eyebrows and its a quiet big area...it wasnt visible wen it started 3 years ago and recently it has become very visible and the red skin is turning brownish. i am very scared it might be somthing serious...
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:47 pm

User avatar Hello,An area on the forhead reddish discoloration turning brown is most likely to be a photoderrmatitis.While the visible rays produce what we call as phototoxicity,the deeper rays produce a photodermatitis.The forhead,the butterfly area of the cheek are common sites on the face.The redness turnig brown may indicate post inflammatory pigmentation.
Your doctor may prescribe sunscreening agents and medications to get rid of the excess pigment.You can take fruits and vegitables rich in BCarotene.Best wishes.