Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: White spots on penis gland (not perly penile papules)

 Bogwaan - Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Hello Dr,

Please can you help me with an embarrassing problem that came to my attention just before Christmas 2009.

I seem to have an area of white 'spots' on my penis - they do not hurt or cause any irritation, they just seem to have come from nowhere. They can not be popped like an ordinary spot although they are slightly raised. I haven't had any other symptoms, eg, any fever, etc. Im pretty certain it is not an STD as I use condoms with my girlfriend who I know is clear.

Please see the below links for images:

Please note that I am not referring to the Perly Penile Papules, but the white triangular cluster of spots as per the pictures. I thought it was a fungus/yeast infection and so took 150mg Fluconazole about 5 days ago. I have also been using Canesten Clotrimazole 1% cream approximately 3 times a day for the past 9 days but still can not see any improvement whatsoever.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that I can answer which might help.

Many thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:35 pm

User avatar Hello,These dome shaped whitish papules in the triangular area are more likely to be lichen planus.These are flat topped violaceous to white papules which can occur on the penis.Cause is not known and treatment would include application of mild to moderate potency steroid cremes as prescribed by your dermatologist.Do consult your doctor for the same.This is not an STD and is not serious.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us