Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: French green clay ideal for a face mask for oily/acne prone?

shizaa - Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi I have oily areas mostly on my nose and forehead and am prone to acne breakouts, although they are nowhere as severe as they used to be when I was younger. After doing some reading about clay masks I have decided that I would like to try them but am not sure what kind of clay would be suitable for my skin. I am looking in particular at French Green clay. Would you recommend it for my skin type? If not, what kind of clay would be more suitable?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 am

User avatar Hello,This clay belongs to a group called illite clays.French green clay results as an interaction between clay and iron oxide of decomposed plant matter or algae seen in southern france.Most of these make you feel good and there is some degree of epidermal cleansing and it is mildly keratolytic.It is possible that dry skin types may feel little bit of irritation and ideally used once in a fortnight.Also it would be prudent to get a test application just to be sure.Soaps are safer since the contact time is less.Best wishes.