Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Self removal of lipomas with needle?

Yakmeister - Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:58 pm

28 yr old male
I have multiple lipomas all over my body; stomach, chest, butt, front of thigh.
These have been confirmed by a nurse practitioner as lipoma due to roundness and moveablity.
So far, there are about 5 that I've found. Most are about the size of a marble.
I read that some surgeons use liposuction to remove the insides of the lipoma. What would happen if I got a needle from the drug store and tried this myself?

Is this something I could have the MD do in his office?

Why the need for full blown surgery, even if it is outpatient?

Thanks for any input you can give.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:54 am

User avatar Hello,Even a minor surgery needs precautions let alone the method of removal.Though you may use a sterile needle, the chances of introducing infection are high since the skin preperation may not be sufficient and hand may carry infection.If there is bleeding you would land up with a hematoma.Also lipomas are lobulated leaving behind tissue with out proper removal again could lead to recurrence.It should be removed with trained personnel for sure.Best wishes.