Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Lump growing on top of head.

Drep - Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm

I have a lump growing on top of my head and was not sure what type of doctor I need to schedule an appointment with. At first I thought maybe I had a small pimple growing on my head. After about a month, it has continued to grow. Of course I can not see it but my wife says it's very noticeable, mildly squishy feeling to the touch and doesn't look like any zit she has ever seen. I am also bald so I would not think it's an ingrown hair.

Is Dermatology who I need to schedule something like this with? I have not seen my general practitioner yet and was hoping I didn't need to. I believe he only really deals with eye/nose/throat stuff and was hoping to bypass the wasted money by going there just to be sent someone else.

Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 am

User avatar Hello,The commonest condition with the features mentioned would be a sebaceous cyst.Scalp is a common site too and this cyst contains a cheesy material called keratin, which is a protein the skin and hair are made of.These are painless unless they get infected.Treatment is by surgical removal.This is not a serious condition.A lipoma made of fat tissue could look similar but larger.Pilar cysts are also some times mistaken but have thicker walls.
You can consult a dermatologist or a general surgeon for the necessary treatment.Best wishes.