Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Lump growing on top of head.

Drep - Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Hello,

I have a lump growing on top of my head and was not sure what type of doctor I need to schedule an appointment with. At first I thought maybe I had a small pimple growing on my head. After about a month, it has continued to grow. Of course I can not see it but my wife says it's very noticeable, mildly squishy feeling to the touch and doesn't look like any zit she has ever seen. I am also bald so I would not think it's an ingrown hair.

Is Dermatology who I need to schedule something like this with? I have not seen my general practitioner yet and was hoping I didn't need to. I believe he only really deals with eye/nose/throat stuff and was hoping to bypass the wasted money by going there just to be sent someone else.

Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 am

User avatar Hello,The commonest condition with the features mentioned would be a sebaceous cyst.Scalp is a common site too and this cyst contains a cheesy material called keratin, which is a protein the skin and hair are made of.These are painless unless they get infected.Treatment is by surgical removal.This is not a serious condition.A lipoma made of fat tissue could look similar but larger.Pilar cysts are also some times mistaken but have thicker walls.
You can consult a dermatologist or a general surgeon for the necessary treatment.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us