Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Brown Skin On penis Glans

 suhelsh - Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Dear Doctor,

Hope you can help me with my problem.
On my penis headthere is a dark patch of skin just under the urethra which stands out from the skin and gives the impression of a birth mark.It is not raised, nor ulcerated,not a lesion, doesnt itch and is at the same level as the skin.
There are few more brown patches on my skin which are darker and more brownish in colour.There are around 4-5 patches of different sizes.They donot stand out but are noticeable on close inspection.Are these just discolouration of skin?They also are not raised, ulcerated, lesions do not irritate itch or burn and at the same level.
They donot stand out but are noticeable on close inspection.
What is the possible cause of these type of patches on the penis head?
Also the right side of the penis near the urethra is darker than rest of the penis but the darkness reducs during errection.
I read online that changes in skin colour of the penis are early indications of penile cancer.
Hope you can help....
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 am

User avatar Hello,The condition described would fit in with lentigo simplex which are brownish macules flush with skin.These are generally found from early childhood and are symptom free.These do not cause any harm and may be of cosmetic significance.It is best you show your doctor and get the diagnosis confirmed.These are best left alone, but treatments would include depigmenting cremes,cryo and lasers which are mentioned just for information.Best wishes.
 suhelsh - Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 am

Thank you doctor for your reply.I am not too sure if I have had these from my childhood.I only noticed them around a month back.And I had never paid so much attention to my penis before to have noticed them.So I am not sure about when they emerged.Do they get darker over time??
I am too embarresed to go to a dermatologist and discuss my situation with him.And I am also not in knowledge of any dermatologist who will be comfortable enough to have a look at my penis.Could you suggest a doctor in Delhi??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 am

User avatar Hello,Lentigo can appear at any age.If you are shy about meeting a consultant do talk with your family doctor and get directed, if necessary.Ok?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us