Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: painful wrinkling of fingertip skin - causes?

organon - Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 am

Thank you for examining my posting.

In mid December of 2009, I began experiencing a variety of health disturbances. These involved sleep problems and digestive trouble amongst other things.
But one of primary concern to me is as follows:

I began to have common 'pins and needles' sensations in my hands and fingers, especially my fingertips. These felt dry all the time (and lotion is of no help). When I examined them, I found strange creases in the skin — not deep, but obvious. Another feature is that if I face my palms toward me, the areas primarily effected are as follows: right hand = left side of fingertips, left hand = right side of fingertips. Both sides are affected to some degree, but these sides much more so. This condition has now lasted over a month. I would be grateful for any advice regarding it. BP checks are normal. 120/80.

Pins and needles sensation and these wrinkles are new. The sensation is quite strong, and not merely bothersome but painful.

Again my thanks for any information.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:37 am

User avatar Hello,Skin wrinkling has been studied as a marker of autonomic nervous system which contols our blood vessels and sweating and many other important fuctions.Commonest is diabetic neuropathies,and vitamin deficiencies.Also connective tissue disorders,amyloid deposits,and a host of birth disorders can cause neuropathies.
Since you have severe pain and pins and needles sensations with a family history of diabetes investigations to rule out this and blood tests for deficiencies are needed.A neurological consultation is a must.Do get invesigated and i am sure you would recover if the cause is identified.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us