Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: yellowish fatty lumps on eyelid and below eyes

 CountNoAccount - Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I have yellowish fatty lumps on the top of eyelids and below eyes>What could this be and is it something to worry excessively about. Is there anyway I can make this go away without visiting a dermatologist?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 am

User avatar Hello,What you have are known by known as xanthomas, which relate to deposition of lipids which are fats in parts of skin.The ones around the eyes carry the name Xanthelasma Palpebrerum and are quite common as we grow older.Here there may not be a direct correlation to cholesterol in serum.
These are removed by cryo,or by application of trchloracetic acid both done by a dermatologist.These are not serious but may remain as a cosmetic problem.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us