Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: foot peeling

jessimidence01 - Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:15 am

i'm 18 years old and i've had this weird foot peeling since i was 14. i peel between the toes. sometimes it'll spread to the top of my toe, but it mostly stays in between. it's not dry, itchy, and it doesn't burn or hurt me in any way, shape or form, but it bugs the crap out of me because it looks disgusting. it seems that the skin gets soggy and the skin just starts to fall off. i know its dead skin because it's white. it forms an air bubble, sometimes small, sometimes the size of a quarter, which pops with the friction of my tos/socks/shoes. no oozing or bleeding. the only time it does hurt is when i peel off the dead skin and there's raw, pink flesh underneath it.

it's also periodical. it'll come around and last me for about a month and a half, then it dissapears on its own for about three, four, sometimes five months, and then it comes back again. i've tried lamisil foot creams and sprays, keeping my feet dry and clean, wearing sandals to shower in my dorm showers, drying between the toes, changing socks periodically, airing my feet, and have gone a long time putting powder in my socks and shoes to keep them dry. i went to my regular doctor and she said that it was the foot powder drying out my feet. so i stopped doing that, it went away, and now it's back again. NOTHING works. it just keeps coming back please help me. i don't know what to do anymore. i'm thinking about going to a podiatrist because i'm getting desperate, but i hope you have an answer for me so i wont have to go and spend money yet if you can help me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:55 am

User avatar Hi jessimidence01,
Generally speaking, with athlete's feet, there is usually burning, itching, peeling, etc. It sounds like it may be a form eczema/ psoriasis etc. Have you tried consistently applying an emollient creme 2-3 times a day even when you don't have symptoms? You may want to try this approach but I would also suggest an evaluation by a dermatologist.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 special_k - Thu May 07, 2009 2:36 pm

This is athlete's foot. I am not a doctor but I had it for years and it comes back occasionally. Lamisil and those things never seemed to work for me, it would always come back.

The most effective treatment for me was pure tea tree oil. I used to apply with cotton wool twice a day for about a week (or longer if I needed to). I didn't have an outbreak for years after trying this, occasionally I do but I just use tea tree oil again.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us