Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: foot peeling

jessimidence01 - Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:15 am

i'm 18 years old and i've had this weird foot peeling since i was 14. i peel between the toes. sometimes it'll spread to the top of my toe, but it mostly stays in between. it's not dry, itchy, and it doesn't burn or hurt me in any way, shape or form, but it bugs the crap out of me because it looks disgusting. it seems that the skin gets soggy and the skin just starts to fall off. i know its dead skin because it's white. it forms an air bubble, sometimes small, sometimes the size of a quarter, which pops with the friction of my tos/socks/shoes. no oozing or bleeding. the only time it does hurt is when i peel off the dead skin and there's raw, pink flesh underneath it.

it's also periodical. it'll come around and last me for about a month and a half, then it dissapears on its own for about three, four, sometimes five months, and then it comes back again. i've tried lamisil foot creams and sprays, keeping my feet dry and clean, wearing sandals to shower in my dorm showers, drying between the toes, changing socks periodically, airing my feet, and have gone a long time putting powder in my socks and shoes to keep them dry. i went to my regular doctor and she said that it was the foot powder drying out my feet. so i stopped doing that, it went away, and now it's back again. NOTHING works. it just keeps coming back please help me. i don't know what to do anymore. i'm thinking about going to a podiatrist because i'm getting desperate, but i hope you have an answer for me so i wont have to go and spend money yet if you can help me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:55 am

User avatar Hi jessimidence01,
Generally speaking, with athlete's feet, there is usually burning, itching, peeling, etc. It sounds like it may be a form eczema/ psoriasis etc. Have you tried consistently applying an emollient creme 2-3 times a day even when you don't have symptoms? You may want to try this approach but I would also suggest an evaluation by a dermatologist.
 special_k - Thu May 07, 2009 2:36 pm

This is athlete's foot. I am not a doctor but I had it for years and it comes back occasionally. Lamisil and those things never seemed to work for me, it would always come back.

The most effective treatment for me was pure tea tree oil. I used to apply with cotton wool twice a day for about a week (or longer if I needed to). I didn't have an outbreak for years after trying this, occasionally I do but I just use tea tree oil again.