Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: constantly sweating hands

 zoxymon - Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:53 am

my hands have always sweated profusely for as long as i can remember. i have never actually been to the doctor for this problem but i would really like to know what i can do to either slow down or completely stop my hands sweating. it has proved itself to be a major setback as far as the things i can do with my hands as well as disturbing my social life. i would rather not pay alot of money to cure myself, but i do want to know everything i can do for it from the smallest remedy to even surgery if necessary. i thank you dearly for your time. sincerely, brian.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:27 am

User avatar Hello,Sweat is produce by eccrine glands in the skin.The increased eccrine sweating is known as hyperhidrosis.
There are 3 types.One is all over body type known as thermoregulatory type as seen in infections to bring down temperature.The other is gustatory,after a hotmeal like in diabetes.The third which is localized to hands and feet which has an emotional basis.
Aluminium chloride application,Tap water iontophoresis,Botulinum toxin injections,anticholinergic drugs and sympathectomy as a surgical method are various approaches.
Tapwater iontophoresis may be a safe alternative than taking drugs for long term ,which do have side effects like drying of other secretions like tears,and saliva.Do consult a dermatologist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us