Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Face is dry and sensitive.

 nidcon06 - Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:15 pm

I noticed this past year may be 2 years, that my face feels dry. When I use any type of products (mosituriser,acne creams, etc) on my face it turms my face red. My cheeks always look red/rashish without make up. it isn't a severe red/rash because I can usually cover it up with make up but my face doesn't look nice without makeup.The only time I have any type of moisture is around my nose when I make up in the morning. I don't have use cleansers or anything like that. I break out alot on my chin but my cheeks manage to stay dry even after using the moisturizer and make up. So I don't know what I should be doing and what I shouldn't be doing. Should I just go see a dermatologist? My skin has been like this all year round. Should I be doing a daily face wash routine?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:00 am

User avatar Hello,Redness of face could be due to several conditions.The commonest would be photosensitivity.But then you seem to have it allround the year.This is still a condition to be ruled out.Sunscreens would help here.
Early Rosacea could mimic this and is a condition of unknown aetiology presenting with redness in the blush areas of the face and acne like rashes.This may also be related to a parasite called demodex.
Rarer causes would be auto immune disorders like lupus but are generally associated with other symptoms like joint pains etc.
Do visit a dermatologist and in most likelihood may be a photosensitivity reaction.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us