Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Treating burning and stinging associated with rosacea

 Cathyfred - Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:35 am

I have recently been diagnosed with rosacea after suffering from a red, burning, sensitive face for several years. At this time it appears to be quite acute, as just about any topical preparation flares it up. Is there any way to specifically treat the burning, stinging pain symptomatically?

 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:21 am

User avatar Hello,Since you seem to be sensitive to external applications it would be ideal to get internal treatment.
Oral antibiotics like doxycycline,and metronidazole could be used in your case.If there is evidence of demodex infestation ivermectol is a recommeded oral treatment.
Zinc oxide containing sunblocks do help in reducing the burning.
Do consult your dermatologist or your doctor before starting any treatment.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us