Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Black Blister in Groin Area

 sooimlee - Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:20 pm


About a week, maybe 2 weeks ago, I noticed a reddish looking blister in my groin area -- more specifically, in the crease towards the top of my right thigh. It wasn't painful or large. I did try to apply pressure to see if any fluid would come out, but nothing would and I figured it would go away on it's own and I promptly forgot about it.

Today I decided to check the area again, and it's still there, only now it's black and it looks like there is pus in there too. Again, I tried to apply pressure, but nothing except a tiny bead of blood came out. It still doesn't hurt, but because under the surface of the skin is black and looks like there's pus, I'm concerned.

What do I do for this? Is this something I should try to pop myself (and if so, how), or should I call my doctor on Monday? I am fearful of an infection in my leg from this, since it's been there for a quite a while now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:23 am

User avatar Hello,You seem to be having a bacterial infection of skin by name impetigo.This is very superficial but it can extend down a hair follicle and then called folliculitis.The organisms enter the abraded skin by a minor unnoticed injury,may be by scratching.
External application of antibiotic should be fine.Do not try to pop up the area.Do consult your doctor if this persists.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us