Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: blisters below my lower lip

isis - Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:09 pm

2 nights ago a blister formed and burst below my lower lip before I realized it was even there! There have been 3 more blister that have formed inside the initial blister area (much smaller) since then. About 13 yrs ago I had an outbreak of facial blisters covering the entire lower half of my face. The dermatologist I saw was unsure as to the initial cause but it had progressed to a bacterial infection by the time I saw him. There have been no blisters or facial outbreaks since and I don't get cold sores.
I am currently washing the area 3x a day with warm soapy water along with triple antibacterial ointment. There is no burning and only mild itching intermittently. I have had no sexual contact (including kissing) for almost a year, so newly contracted herpes seems far fetched. Any ideas?
Thanks!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:10 am

User avatar Hello,Herpes infections can remain dormant for long and can come out from the nerve to the skin when there is a break down of resistance.Most of these are aquired in childhood and are quite common in the community.
Impetigo can be a look alike and caused by bacteria lile steptococci.These can be contagious and mostly affect children.External application of antibiotic for a few days should be fine.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us