Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Localized Scleroderma (Morphea) and Tattooing

algackle - Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:30 pm

I was diagnosed with Localized Scleroderma about 4 years ago. I was told that there is no cure for this disease, and that it usually lasts between 3-5 years. I have been wanting to get a tattoo for a year now, and last year I asked an acquaintance of mine with the same disease what she thought about it. She has had 3 tattoos and not been affected, but her doctor told her he has had 2 patients die of this disease after getting tattooed because since it is an immune system disorder, the immune system attacks the ink from the tattoo until it has been depleted. I would like to get another opinion on this subject. Were these just freak accidents or is dying a serious issue with getting a tattoo while having Localized Scleroderma?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:33 am

User avatar Hello,Reactions to the red part of the tattoo and the ensuing localised scleroderma has been reported in the literature sporiadically and is very uncommon.However,As far as I know there are no reports of such reactions in people who have already a localised scleroderma.
Kluger N, Mathelier-Fusade P, Moguelet P. Scleroderma-like reaction restricted to the red parts of a tattoo. Acta Derm Venereol. 2009;89:95-96.
It would however be difficult to quantify the reactions in each individual and would be speculative especially in patients with localised scleroderma.