Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: hole in upper chest where cyst was removed

nyglamazon - Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 am

I had a cyst removed two weeks ago and I have a hole in my chest 1/4" round and over a 1/4" deep it's red around the oudside looks red on the inside and it doesn't seem to be healing I am on cefalexin 500 and using bactroban on it, will the hole take a long time to close or will it close at all, I cannot go back to the Doctor that cut this cyst out because I feel he rushed me out and gave me these presciptions to get me out of his office. The Doctor I went to was a plastic surgeon, so if I need to go to a doctor what kind would I go to?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:04 am

It is probable that you had a sebaceous cyst overlying the sternum that was removed.It also appears that the skin has not healed as
expected.Occasionally,midline dermoids can present in that location and these may be associated with underlying bony defects.

In the case of sebaceous cyst removal,this kind of problem often occurs due to certain factors...
- the skin overlying the cyst often tends to be very thin
- Sub-clinical infection in the cyst.
With regular dressing changes and antibiotic therapy, these usually heal well.