Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: lump under skin from scratching?

dvsinla - Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 pm

hi

wasn't sure if this is the right area to post. i tend to scratch my groin area when i go running... just below pubic hair area... (not std related... have done for years) but last night i scratched a lot and immediately noticed a hard lump under the skin

doesn't hurt, not discolored in any way

can this happen from scratching?

had a lump once before after scratching armpit... small lump popped up... that one was painful but it disappeared after a few days. that was a few years ago.

i don't drink, smoke, do drugs and i run over 20 miles a week

thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 pm

User avatar Hello,Pediculosis pubis is a condition caused by a parasite Phthirus pubis in the pubic area.The spread is by skin to skin contact not necessarily sexual or through clothing.Itching is a common symptom.Vigorous itching would lead to raised swelling.
Do look out for these parasite which may be seen attachec near the hair at skin level and may look more like a black spot.
Permethin creme as a 10 minute application or oral ivermectin are the treatments given with good results.Partner treatment is essential.
Do consult your doctor.Other possiblities would include fungal infections or a furuncle.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us