Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: White patch of itchy bumps on my arms

GenaRH - Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 pm

On my arms I have multiple white (or light) patches of bumps. They itch all the time, more so in the sun. I only have them on my upper chest (where my skin is exposed more), upper back, arms, and shoulders. I am not sure if it is a mild eczema but I once put hydrocortisone on it and it seemed to temporarily help. I am wondering if it is eczema or if it could be another skin problem that I can permanently treat.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 pm

User avatar Hello,What you have is more likely to be a superficial yeast infection known by name Tinea Versicolor.Location like front of chest is typical and also leads to lightening or fawn coloured skin.
The condition has something to do with excess sweating in some.Nutritional deficiencies are other factors.
The causative yeast is known as Mallassesia Furfur.Common antifungals treat this condition effectively.
The differential diagnosis would include P.Alba,again nutritional in cause.If the disccoloration is deeper, vitiligo should be considered.
Do consult your doctot but then there should be nothing to worry.
With my best wishes.