Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Boil on buttocks, right cheek

reggiepaul - Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi,

So I got a boil a few days ago, on my right buttocks. It was extremely painful where I could not sit down without pain. After the 2nd day I went to walgreens and purchased Campho Phenique for cold sores, and applied that to the boil. The next day, the boil was softer, (not drained) but a little less painful.

After another day passed (today) the boil has still not drained, but has become a lot less painful. I can finally sit without too much pain.

I can still feel a ball when I sit due to fluid build up, but how long will it take to drain or go away? I went to the gym today and it hurt when I ran on the treadmill.

Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your history is suggestive of an abscess.Only a clinical examination will clarify whether this is
- a superficial boil:(folliculitis - infection in hair follicle confined to the epodermis),
- a deeper boil:(furuncle - infection in hair follicle extending into the dermis),
- a carbuncle:(interconnecting subcutaneous abscesses arising from infection of several neighboring hair follicles which extend deeper into the sub-cuteneous tissue. Multiple draining sinuses develop),
- an infected epidermoid("sebaceous") cyst,
- an ischio-rectal abscess(an anal gland infection spreading into the ischio-rectal space) etc.

Majority of these infections are due to Staph aureus. Community aquired MRSA (CA-MRSA) needs to be considered in people with co-morbidities such as diabetes, immunocompromise, old age etc.

Management:
- Dry heat (Hot packs) or Moist heat (compresses) are commonly advised and can be applied several times a day until drainage or resolution. This alone may be sufficient for the more superficial types.
- Surgical incision and drainage, is the mainstay in the management of large furuncles and carbuncle.One must not wait for fluctuation to appear in cases of ischio-rectal abscesses.
- Systemic antibiotics are usually not needed unless fever or significant surrounding cellulitis is evident or if systemic symptoms are present.

You should ideally consult a doctor who will be able to decide about the ideal course of action.
Good day!
 reggiepaul - Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:07 am

Thank you Dr.

The boil has reduced greatly since posting this. It doesn't hurt anymore, I'm just waiting for it to heal now.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:20 pm

User avatar Hi reggiepaul,
Thank you for updating about your progress.I am glad you have improved.Good day!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us