Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Blood in birthmark

hockey4ever - Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:16 am

The other day I was looking at a birthmark on my leg (about 1/5 of a cm in diameter), and noticed that it was raised a tiny bit. So I scratched it and a small amount of blood came out of it. Is this normal?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:30 pm

User avatar Hello,While it is quite common for vascular nevi ie nevi related to blood vessels to bleed on injury yet every case of bleeding from moles especially from pigmented ones need to be looked at just to make sure that it is nothing more than injury causing it.
Any change in size,colour,borders,texture change or bleeding or itching need the lesion to be examined by a doctor.Dermoscopy is a noninvasive procedure which will give valuble information.
While it is quite possible it is nothing more than a injury based bleeding you should still show to your doctor.