Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Why are the areas around my nose red?

tokijitza - Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:06 pm

After I had a bad impetigo around my nose, I noticed within a year that the redness hasn't left my nose. After I did some research I found out that the redness should clear up within a month and it has been over a year and it hasn't. The areas around the holes of my nose are red and I don't know how to treat them! I went to the doctor and used all kinds of creams but nothing worked. I tried vitamin E oil but I haven't seen any improvements. What should I do? Please Help!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 am

User avatar Hello,The area you mention is the Ala Nasi area and the persisting redness is your complaint.
You are right that impetigo should have resolved in a month or less.Also it would perhaps leave behind a pigmented area which again would fade in a few weeks.
If you had used a steroid antibiotic for a longer time could lead to persistent redness and atrophy of skin.The red area would be dialated blood vessels called telangectasias.
Apart from this reaction to sunlight could leave behind a persisting redness.Less common in your age group is Rosacea which first can appear as redness of nasal area due to dialatation of blood vessels.
You should get examined by a dermatologist to rule out these conditions.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us