Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: cluster of bumps on head

 dhealth - Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:25 am

No history of head or skin problems. Recently buzzed hair very short. Now have a 1" cluster of bumps on top of my head. Not too itchy. Looks like pimples. Is this Pseudofolliculitis barbae? Will this likely just go away on its own or how best is this treated. Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 am

User avatar Hello,Psedofolliculitis barbae is a condition in which curling or tough hairs irritate the skin to form papules which do not itch or pain.These are not caused by infection and mostly affect the beard area.In your case these probably represent a staphylococcal folliculitis.If these go deeper they are known as furuncles.Most of these infections respond to external application of antibiotic cremes like mupurocin.Severe infections need antibiotics orally or parenterally in severe cases.Just for information,though it is not applicable here,nasal furuncles should be treated with utmost urgency for these can spread retrograde to the cavernous sinus below the brain base.Dislodging the hair from the tunnel it has caused, is the treatment for pseudofolliculitis.A dermatological inspection is necessary to differentiate.
In your case nothing more may be needed other than topical antibiotics.If it recurs may be an indication for cultureand sensitivity tests to get at the right antibiotic after identifying the bacteria.
Best wishes.
 dhealth - Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello Dr. Kamath,
Thanks for the response. Went to a dermatologist today and he diagnosed it as seborrheic keratosis or verruca plana. He 'froze' them with a spray and suggested I come back in 4 weeks to do it again.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:12 am

User avatar Hello Dehealth,Seborrheic keratosis is commoner after 40 or even much later.Sometimes it presents with visible Puctate Horn Pseudocysts which have masqueraded and given a look of PsedoFolliculiitis in your case.Good to know that you got a Cryo done.Best wishes.
 flowrider - Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:16 pm

I have been trying to get some help and it seems no one wants to help me with my problem why is this?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us