Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Blotchy, brown patch on side of chest/side of body.

SheridanSG - Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm an 18 year old male.
For over 2 years now I've had this brown blotchy patch/rash on the side of my chest stretches across the side of my body for about 4 inches.
There is no pain, no itchyness, though the texture of the skin does seem a little rough as the hairfollcles seem a little bumpy (I have quite a hairy chest).
I went to the doctors today and the woman basically had no idea what it was, offered me no advice, no treatment. It was pretty much a shambles.
It's been really bothering me and it's a huge burden as I'm embarressed to take my top off.

My guess is hyper pigmentation but looking at pictures on the internet I've not seen anything that looks like this.
Can you offer me any info, advice?
Also, if it is a skin pigmentation what treatment is available? And how much would laser treatment cost in the UK?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:08 pm

User avatar Hello,Your description is a perfect fit for Becker's Nevus.This occurs in males,and is light brown in colour,quite large and borders like the coast of maine!There is increased hair growth and common locations the shoulder,or chest.BN has only cosmetic significance.
Laser treatment is useful.You could contact a dermatology center for further evaluation by a dermatologist.
 SheridanSG - Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for the reply! After reading up on Beckers Nevus and looking at some pictures, this is definatly what I have, I'm sure of it. I'm going to make an appointment with a dermatologist to be sure, but I think it's definatly what I have.