Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Chances of Hair re-growth in my head

 hitmanid - Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 am

Im Male 23 and i had very dense hair naturally, but i started to lose my hair gradually now my front part of my head has very little hair left. I consulted doctor and used 2% and 5% minoxidol solutions but i cannot see any improvement. So how can i regrow my hair?
Thanx in advance
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:33 am

User avatar Hello,
Our hairs are under the control of genes, hormones, minerals and vitamins. The genes play an important role in hair growth and hair fall. The commonest problem in male is androgenic alopecia in which the hair is lost in on the front , centre and sides making it a "M" shaped hair pattern loss. the hair gets thinned and it is known as miniaturization. The hair follicles have increased numerous androgen receptors, with increased five alpha reductase enzyme leading to increased androgen sensitivity.Androgen hormone levels usually are normal. Treatment of androgenic alopecia is slow and needs lot of patience. Minoxidil is the first FDA approved external application popular all over the world. The treatment should be continued at least for six months before you can assess efficacy.
Systemic finastride (five alpha reductase inhibitor) is the most effective therapy available but this needs a specialist to prescribe the same. Hair transplants should be done by experienced surgeons and it is done in whom the degree and progression of baldness can be assessed.

Best Wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us