Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin tag/Fissure/hemorrhoids

 jhall4 - Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:24 am

I have had, for some time (A number of years) a flap of skin at the opening of my anus. It is very sensitive and seems to cause some discomfort (Sharp, stinging pain) during bowel movement, and for a little while after. Sometimes it just itches. I have also experienced (Though not for a few months) slight bleeding during bowel movement. Please Help Me!!! What should I do?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:37 am

User avatar Dear Jhall4,

It sounds like you could have an anal skin tag. They can be quite irritating, can itch, swell, turn red and bleed. A Surgeon can remove than, usually using a local anesthesia. These are seen a lot in patients with Crohn’s disease. Do you have stomach and bowel disorders a lot? Have you been tested for Crohn’s?

Or, you could have an Enlarged Papillae which is a normal structure located in the anal canal but protrudes out when swollen and irritated. They may be treated by pushing it back into place or surgically removing it. Papillae can cause discomfort, itching, burning and painful bowel movements, but they do not bleed usually.
 jhall4 - Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:11 pm

I was affraid of that!

I have never been tested for Crohn’s and don't usually get other bowel disorders.

Can you tell me anything about the procedure of getting one removed? I am not going to see the doctor unless I know what I may have in store! I'm a little scared.

Thank-You so much for your quick and informative response, much appreciated!
 maddy - Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:05 pm

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I noticed a little flap of skin at the beginning of my anus. It does not hurt while moving bowels or bleed. It itches sometimes. I just want to know what it is because I really don't want to tell my parents about it because I don't want to rack up for hospital bills. IS it possible that it could go away. I mean it doesn't bother me at all but sometimes I just wonder wat it is. I just feel it sometimes and it kinda worries me why it's there cause it's never been there before. It appeard about a week or two ago. Thank you very much, please reply

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us