Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red patch on one side of face

 tommy1985 - Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 am

I am a 24 yr old male. I have had a large red patch on one side of my face (cheek) since I was 18. The area was quite pigmented to begin with, so I have undertaken many lazer treatments and skin lightening serums for hyperpigmentation with little or no effect. I don't believe the problem lies with pigmentation, but more with the redness of the area which can before flushed/enflamed at certain times and when touched. The area also has small raised bumps, which were at first maily caused by beard growth. I had hair remeoval treatment over the area a couple of years ago which helped improve the appearance, but the problem is still there. I am looking for any opinions or advice to combat the redness. I have tried anti-redness serums and creams also had some lazer test patches to target the redness but nothing seemed to change.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:45 am

User avatar Hello,Before undertaking any treatment first the diagnosis needs to be established.There are number of causes for localised facial erythematous patches.They may range from occult fungal infections,bacterial like erysepalas,connective tissue disorders like lupus tumidus, a patch of hansen's disease,photodermatitis,and post inflammatory pigmentation.
You may need a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.Treatment would be based on clinical and histopathological diagnosis.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us