Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Mole removal please respond!

Guitarbabe2007 - Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:50 pm

My friend has to go and have a mole removed on her back in two days and she HATES going to the doctor she is really scared :shock: and she keeps asking what they are going to do to her but even though I want to be a doctor doesn't mean I am one so I don't know. Can you tell me exactly what you do when you remove a mole so I can try and calm her down. THANKS!

Heather
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:05 pm

User avatar Assuming that the mole is of benign nature, most dermatologists can perform cosmetic mole removals. The procedure involves shaving the mole off (sometimes using cauterization to burn it off). After removing the mole, a sample is sent to a lab in order to make sure that it is not cancerous. In the majority of cases, only one office visit is required to have a mole removed, plus a follow-up visit.