Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Lip picking

Sheba32 - Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Hello and thank you. My problem is this. I have a bad habit of picking my lips when they are chapped. I've had this problem since i was little. I now have scars on my lower and upper lips. I don't do it as much as I used to. I have several questions,. What can I do about the scars other than hide it under lipstick? Which is what I've been doing. Is there a topical solution or something that I can apply to my lips to minimize the sign of the scars? Are the drug store scar medications such as Mederma safe to use on my lips? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease, help me. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Lip-picking is a very common habit and no scar treatment will help very much until you stop doing it. Like any other habit, you need to replace it with another activity.

As for Mederma - it is safe on lips and may help with continued use twice a day but other moisturizers may work just as well. Time heals scars in most cases at least to some degree.